Dev Blog #49

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Elyssia, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Elyssia

Elyssia Community Manager Staff Member

2. BowenTheKotoc

BowenTheKotoc Master

Can you harvest "wool" without killing the sabertusk?

3. Elyssia

It is unlikely that a sabretusk would allow anyone close enough to try.

4. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

I'm guessing Bowen is thinking of taming them and having a domesticated herd of SabreTusk that he can shear for wool in the spring and butcher for meat when needed.

5. Mata

Mata Journeyman

The sabretusk model looks amazing! almost like i could reach out and touch it. Dyer3d seems to be extremely good with muscles, dimples, and general definition and detail.

6. Elyssia

Domestication would be amazing! But it's beyond the scope of our design for ToA: Exile's launch.

7. Hoedir

Hoedir Artisan

As you will start doing the human animations soon, I have to ask about polearm-animations.
    I looked for them on The roadmap, but I could Not find them there.
    Does that mean you will not have separate animations for polearms?
    Or do you plan on skipping spears, halberds, poleaxes etc. entirely?
    I am quite concerned regarding this topic, because 90% of developers see those weapons as Not needed and therefore throw them in with twohanded swords etc.)

EDIT: Btw the new model looks awesome, but to me it looks like it consists of an aweful lot of polygons. How many are they?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Elyssia likes this.
  8. Elyssia

Polearms aren't in the game yet, so we don't need animations for them until they are. The model of the sabretusk is the sculpting of it; I believe it still needs to be brought down in polys before it can go into the game. I'm not sure on the number of polygons it has, but I will ask. :)

BowenTheKotoc and Hoedir like this.
  9. Hoedir

Hoedir Artisan

Thx for the quick reply. :)
    So there are plans for polearms? If so, why dont you use a zylindrical object as dummy and animate with that one? (Should be a process of like 2 minutes to create and export such a thing )
    Dont mistake me for someone, who wants to dictate you how to make the game, but would it not be more reasonable to create all The combat animations in one go instead of waiting and fiddeling them in later? :)

10. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

Reminds me of this annoying creature that even more annoying creatures like to ride on...
    If they had more care put into them the similarities would be more obvious...

[​IMG]

Elyssia likes this.
  11. RustyRisk

RustyRisk Journeyman

Everything is looking as great as ever, and i am glad to see Dyer3d is fitting in nicely as a new addition to the team.
    This might already be obvious to you guys, but I was wondering are you planning to add dirt/stone roads because I think it would add a lot to villages.

12. Elyssia

I received an official answer to the polygon question from Dyer3d to share with you all:

"that's a very interesting question! The highpoly version of the Sabretusk with all the fur is pretty hefty. I'm looking at it in zbrush and its running at about 11 million polygons. Compared to the lowpoly version that I created this week which is 1,496 polygons. All that detail will be transferred from the highpoly to the lowpoly by baking maps, and then adding some hair cards to break up the silhouette."

BowenTheKotoc likes this.
  13. Hoedir

Hoedir Artisan

Great, I thought so, all that hair had to have a LOT ^^
    I know the method and it will look great, I'm sure of that. :)
    I wish you and the whole team all the best! (pls don't forget about my polearms :D)