Dev Blog #51

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Elyssia, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Elyssia

Elyssia Community Manager Staff Member

2. BowenTheKotoc

BowenTheKotoc Master

Wow, that pathfinding mechanic is huge. I hope it is tested as thoroughly as possible to make it as perfect as possible. NPCs behaving naturally is a huge part of immersion. As always, sounds like everything is coming along really, really nicely. Hope you guys can find that additional animator you are looking for. I noticed Josh Purple posted a neat dragon head on Ello recently. Was that for ToA or his own personal project? :)

Jeremy@AmidsTheLight and Iauquai like this.
  3. Bruxail

Bruxail Master

Very nice. Sounds like great progress. I do have one question. What is that image to the far right, about 2/3 down from the top. It has red petals on the top, blue petals on the bottom, a yellow streak that looks like fire, all above a little bag like an old time doctors bag. It caught my eye right off the bat.

Iauquai likes this.
  4. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

Great progress! That is a interesting update :)

5. Elyssia

Elyssia Community Manager Staff Member

That would be his own personal project, I believe.

That is the HUD: A heart for health, lungs for stamina, a foot for balance, and a weight for.. weight.

6. Brax

Brax CoFounder / Creative Director Staff Member

Those would be your (from top to bottom) health (a heart), stamina (lungs), balance (a foot on its toes) and encumbrance (a weight). :)

EDIT: Elyssia is fast.

7. CTheRain

CTheRain Veteran

Loving it. Will their be structural limitations on the map? What would probably be the size of a massive building or a mega project if a player decides to build one? How will one protect themselves from offline raiding or will it be based on if you're online? (I prefer either)

8. Brax

Great questions. Right now you can currently construct 3 story homes. We're about to work on some defense type structures such as palisade walls and gates, but nothing too fancy since we only have so much time to dedicate to it.

For early access we are going super simple in the way of security. Since there will be no siege damage in the beginning to destroy houses, locking your doors will offer your items all the protection they need. There is a 100% chance of this changing post early access launch and I'd love to hear ideas.

curzman likes this.
  9. CTheRain

CTheRain Veteran

From my experience with survival games the one that handles offline raiding the best is ARK and I'd say Rust is one of the worst. Active defenses will deterrent attackers from a base.

In Rust for example you can build pretty large and be self efficient even with 2 people. But the moment you log off the base is vulnerable. You have no defenses other than the walls you built which are easily destroyed with explosives. Doors can be hacked down. Chests can be looted if they don't have locks.

In ARK auto turrets prevent people from getting close. Very well. They shoot explosives. And enough auto turrets will make any griefer or random attacker think twice. But once your turrets are drained you're left with a base similar to Rust. Just walls. And draining can be done with suiciding players to soak (Wouldn't work in ToA), running into the turrets with a shield (Risky AF you can die) and using dinos to soak ammo. (ToA doesn't have dinosaurs)

Of course you MAY run into the problem of "get off my lawn" mentality for some players. But from my experience being in the Spartans... (ARKs biggest mega tribe with over 500 players active) Survival games are political in nature and you need connections and make friends to survive. (*GASP* I can't solo in a survival game?!?) Oh and you can make alliances so people can walk in range of your turrets. This would also destroy my dragon/raknar/human settlement idea unless you made turrets (or some type of plant/creature :p ) have the ability to differentiate between certain races / targets.

Brax likes this.
  10. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

If you invest in a charter for a Settlement (assuming that mechanic is still planned), then you can build a guard-house and then hire NPC guards ;) You can develop the skills or money to make or buy ballista to destroy catapults that are brought to destroy your settlement walls, though, I don't know if the NPC guards will fire them. (Oh uh, that was planned for the MMO, not initial Exile release;) )

11. Brax

There's not going to be NPC guards in Exile Early Access. This is why structures are very secure for the time being. When you're offline you shouldn't have to worry about your stuff. We do have a mechanic already in place that will collapse your structure if you abandon it for too long. This way, when someone leaves the server, their location and stuff can eventually be reclaimed by someone else.

Loestri and BowenTheKotoc like this.
  12. CTheRain

CTheRain Veteran

I'd just camp in front of their door each time they log in or chase them inside. If you get knocked out and he runs inside and logs out with my stuff without my ability to attack him I'd be salty AF too.

13. Brax

That's your fault for letting him make it all the way back to his house with all your gear weighing him down. :p

BowenTheKotoc likes this.
  14. Mata

Mata Journeyman

Amazing progress as always! Been looking for updated screenshots, and the game looks really gorgeous in terms of lighting and atmosphere.

15. curzman

curzman Artisan

please can archery be; aim with right click, shoot with left click. that system feels the most natural and is the most intuitive movement. It allows players who enjoy bows in other games to transfer their skills to Exile.

shooting on the release of a click is a very counter intuitive and isn't a control in any fps I have encountered.

Please please consider changing it

16. CTheRain

CTheRain Veteran

Rust does this system and I'm a god with the bow able to take down people with AK47s... Please I agree do this system!!!

curzman likes this.
  17. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

I played a game recently (for quite a while), where I had a powerful bow that was fired by clicking the left mouse button, technically on the release because you could hold down the button to draw the string all the way back to get a more powerful, longer range attack. You could also click the button faster to shoot more arrows over a shorter time, albeit shorter effective range and less damage. I found that quite effective and would even not bother to use my sword unless I was facing truly powerful enemies. So, basically, if the interface allows for that, it doesn't really matter what the controls are, we can either adapt, or use a control remapping option.

18. curzman

curzman Artisan

That's a fair point but my angle is that we have to think about where the player base for Exile will be coming from: Other survival games.
    Whether you like it or not, Rust is the gold standard of survival games because It's still got a large player base and has never been considered a failed early access game (because it's not finished but you get me). We should use systems that players are already used to and are comfortable with when they dont need to be changed. and I dont think there's enough reason to force players to learn a new method of shooting a bow when there are more important things they should be worrying about like learning how to cooperate with other humans and the unique power play between the races.

think about it. if you aim with right click that means you can always cancle your aim by releasing right click. which i have found very important in other games where you need to preserve arrows.

We dont need to think we need new mechanics for everything because then we run into problems of becoming gimicky and sometimes something just works and we should run with it.

19. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

I would not argue that players should adapt themselves to an application if they feel they shouldn't have to. What they can do is use one of the 3rd party applications that remaps controls client-side, assuming that Forged Chaos does not provide this themselves.

curzman likes this.
  20. Brax

Not sure I see the difference. You nock the arrow with the button click and release it with the button release. You aim by moving your reticule around. If you want rapid fire, just click and release (like a normal clicking on something type of event) and the arrow will fire as soon as the nock animation completes. Mount & Blade fires on the release.

All that said, feedback from testers will be heavily considered and if there is an overwhelming objection to a system we currently have in place, we'll review and change assuming we have the time and resources to do so. If a system flat out sucks we'll make time to change it. ;)

Iauquai and curzman like this.