Dev Blog #55

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Elyssia, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Elyssia

Elyssia Community Manager Staff Member

2. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

It's good to hear that crafting is as far along as it is. I also am encouraged that the juvenile dragons are shaping up.

Elyssia likes this.
  3. BowenTheKotoc

BowenTheKotoc Master

Sounds interesting. So a beginning carpenter could make a low quality spinning wheel for a beginning ... weaver? thread-maker? and they both can increase their skills while abusing a low quality tool that doesn't hurt too badly to replace, maybe.

Looking forward to seeing those dragons.

Iauquai and Elyssia like this.
  4. Mata

Mata Journeyman

Crafting system sounds really cool so far! I definitely don't want to miss out on that when I'm playing dragon. Really excited to see the progress on the dragon models and can't wait for the preview! I was thinking about something though.

Say, two friends decide to play the game together. One is a dragon, one is a human. The human protects the dragon and takes care of it until it grows, and once the dragon is huge and powerful it in turn protects the human and while the team has both the ability to have extreme power and the ability to build and craft, they would quickly rise above all other players. I wonder if something would be in place to prevent abusing such a system, or if it would be left in the game as an unintentional feature. Also it makes me curious if dragons could eat food items dropped on the ground.

5. Elyssia

In ToA: Exile we aren't planning any mechanics to stop this. Even with the protection of a human, the life of a hatchling won't be easy. There are many creatures that a human would find difficult to handle on their own: Raknar, Evisceraptors, even Sabretusks could kill them. Then there is the atmosphere of the server. If the other players do not want to see a dragon grow on the server they may hunt the pair down, as a single human would not likely win against a larger group of humans. However if the rest of the server doesn't care, then they may even help the pair by offering a source of crafted goods for the human.

It really is all about how the players want to make it.

Mata, Bruxail and Iauquai like this.
  6. Loestri

Loestri CoFounder / Project Manager Staff Member

Another thing to take into consideration is that the more a dragon is "protected" by a human the slower they will progress. While at early stages the dragon is very vulnerable to the dangers of the world, they still need to "sharpen their fangs" so to speak and be able to take care of themselves. Something about a "pampered/protected" dragon just doesn't sound right to me. However, like Elyssia stated, you are free to try it out. It will be interesting to see the different dynamics of how successful a dragon who is coddled will do in comparison with one who is not.
    I think we are going to learn quite a bit from Exile.

Mata, Iauquai and Bruxail like this.
  7. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

8. Elyssia

Yes, that is right. :) Posting on Sunday, rather than Tuesday.

9. Mata

Mata Journeyman

That's really cool! Thank you for your answer!

That's actually a really interesting take on this situation. From games like The Isle, which I imagine is very similar to how Dragon gameplay will be, I've learned the only way to surpass others is to learn. When I first started playing, I'd start out as the tiniest thing in the game, a velociraptor. You could only play as those before you can progress. I could get my experienced Rex friend to protect me while I progressed, but the second we were apart, I'd be completely vulnerable and literally couldn't survive more than a few minutes without them. However, after playing on my own a lot, I eventually got smart enough to hunt and defend myself, even as something as small as a turkey.

I imagine this will similarly affect the scenario I described earlier. I do not intend to be the dragon in that situation, rather I was curious about others who will definitely try to take that route. It will be interesting to see how everything plays out.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  10. BazrakeArchdemon

BazrakeArchdemon Artisan

Basicly pampered dragons are like house cats clipped nails or declawed while a feral cat is more experienced.. Thats what they mean..

11. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

Yeah, however, it could be possible that a pampered Dragon might also be empowered with metal claw tips, barding and lots of good meat and a supply of gems and nuggets and maybe even a relatively predator free area to lair in. It all comes down to just how well they are taken care of by their Human benefactors. The Humans could even go so far as to provide the Dragon with suitable combat practice keeping the larger predators at bay during the early growth stages. But of course, once that Dragon strikes out and finds an Adult Dragon that grew up on it's own... what happens?

12. Brax

Brax CoFounder / Creative Director Staff Member

That's easy. The local hive of raknar eat and devour the human and dragon. :p

achilles2511 likes this.
  13. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

So the fire breathing dragon can't set a Raknar on fire?

14. Brax

Of course he can! But can he set them all on fire? ;)

15. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

Metal claw extensions.....that has me thinking! THAT would be an interesting way to play, if humans could augment Dragons with technology. SCARY, but who WOULDN'T want to see a Dragon with a suit of armor and a weapon extension? At least once. :p
    The cost of course would be further loss of mobility, but I prefer slow tank classes so I wouldn't know how others would feel about it.

16. BazrakeArchdemon

BazrakeArchdemon Artisan

ahem... Im such a dragon I use armor and a blade.

17. achilles2511

achilles2511 Artisan

It was stated that stations, like tools, have durability. Would a forge have a durability like this? It would seem as though it must, but in real life, as far as I know, forges don't and didn't collapse and need to be replaced every month, or even year. For a wooden spinning wheel, it would make sense that it would break, and everything falls apart at some point. I'm just wondering if this is going to act like guns in fallout three, becoming halfway broken after a few clips are fired through them. I'm thinking it would make more sense to have some stations count more as tools in term of how long they last, and other stations act more like structures. That's just my two cents on the durability of tools.

With the mention of clothing. Appearance might be a good reason to get out of your armor, but I can't remember... are there any penalties to continued wear of armor? I know a lot of games where you run around in plate armor all the time, and never get plain old uncomfortable. Yes, if it's too hot you might take it off to cool down, with the heat mechanics, but is there a penalty for, say, sleeping in armor? If I've forgotten something, just point me in the right direction.

Jeremy@AmidsTheLight and Iauquai like this.
  18. Elyssia

When it comes to sneaking up on creatures, it is better not to have armor, or at least something other than plate, to keep from being noticed. Armor is heavy and it wears the character out if they have to carry it all the time, either on their bodies or in their inventory. Heat does play a factor, but we do not have a sleep mechanic.

achilles2511 and Iauquai like this.
  19. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

Not having a sleep mechanic for armor is ok, since with Raknar around at night when humans like to sleep... It might help give us a slight chance at survival if our scout falls asleep or is silently killed by Brax looking for bellies to lay eggs in. Since, once he pokes us in the belly our armor will go gong and maybe wake us up in time to grab a brand from the fire and set him alight.

achilles2511 likes this.
  20. Brax

Armor will also dampen your ability to sneak. No, not in the "poof!" you're invisible way of sneaking, but being quiet enough to get close enough to your target for a good shot before it detects you.

I've toyed around with the idea of "wellness" that would impact your max HP based on a quality of life type of deal. So, the less stress your character has been under, the better the quality of life, the higher your wellness goes. Dying would lower wellness as would starving, constantly being cold, etc. Don't look for this to be implemented, it has just been something I've been batting around as a way to reward you all for playing Exile smart and not yoloing everything. :)