Dev Blog #57

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Elyssia, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Elyssia

Elyssia Community Manager Staff Member

2. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

And here I was thinking Tuesday came early this week, the FC team is nothing if not dynamic!

I think Beds could serve as a location where players could recover physical and mental stamina most quickly, maybe it could also allow healers a greater chance of success if their patient is treated while in a bed.

I mostly agree with the crafting station ideas. One thing that comes to mind, is that to keep our stations in working order we will have to keep them locked up in private buildings. I would like to suggest a second option allowing crafters to build much more sturdy crafting stations that could be placed in a more public crafting facility so that it would be much more difficult for some troublemaker to break the stations with melee attacks. I think this sort of tradeoff would allow settlements to grow faster and be more hospitable to outside crafters in the long run.

BowenTheKotoc and Elyssia like this.
  3. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

So even the art team debated about wing muscle...I feel vindicated.
    Unless of course they decided to give them only a little bit of muscle, then I'll have a heart-attack. (KIDDING!)
    Did they also debate if the wings have to be really big and/or expand to the base of the tail?
    (I've always thought that Dragons need huge wings but consequently they are massive targets.)

Elyssia likes this.
  4. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

Research with planes has shown that making wings wider does not improve lift. With wings like those it has more to do with the body weight being lower and the muscle power being higher to generate enough thrust-to-weight ratio to be able to get airborne and stay up. There is also the issue of flapping speed, a Bat has wings like the Dragon and they flap quite fast. An Owl flaps slower, but has longer wing-span, giving lift at slower speeds, plus their feathers help a lot and they have low body weight and high strength. Basically all the Dragon needs is lots of strength and a sufficiently fast flapping speed to get them in the air. Maybe some intrinsic magic will come into that.

Elyssia likes this.
  5. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

I understand flight concepts. Considering that Dragons are neither a bird, bee, or plane, that leaves the only logical comparison, the bat.
    The larger the bat, the larger the wings, but a bat usually requires falling to start flying...a bat can't run and jump for take-off like a Dragon.
    A flying fox has massive wings for it's size and they extend all the way to the base of the tail.

Elyssia likes this.
  6. Bruxail

Bruxail Master

Dragons and night vision. Ugh, you guys really want to make it difficult on us lowly humans. :)

Elyssia likes this.
  7. Elyssia

It isn't as nice as the raknar night-vision; they'll be able to navigate, but the ones who want to keep their life-counters won't likely be flying after dark.

Bruxail likes this.
  8. Mata

Mata Journeyman

Really good progress on this sprint so far! Glad you guys figured out the wing joint issue.

Dragons with life-counters? I thought dragons only got 1 life.

9. Elyssia

It depends on the server settings.

10. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

I don't think it was ever planned (even for the MMO) for Dragons to only have one life counter. They were going to get the same amount as everyone else, but the difference is playing a dragon is far more difficult than a Human or Raknar. You would likely only have one to three counters left after reaching Ancient, and that is if you are skilled, and more important, lucky enough, to ever get that far.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  11. Bruxail

Bruxail Master

Except of course those that host their own servers can set everyone's life counters to 1, then you really better keep an eye out and friends handy.

12. RustyRisk

RustyRisk Journeyman

It would be cool if the dragon could focus on one sense at a time. Like maybe amplify hearing but reduce vision and smell. Which ever sense you focus on makes it better but would nerf the others. Just an idea.

13. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

Humans can make torches and bonfires ;)

14. Bruxail

Bruxail Master

Yes, perfect for those night crawly things to see you with.

15. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

True, but then there\s the old safety in numbers and good hiding places for sleeping at night.

Bruxail likes this.
  16. Mata

Mata Journeyman

I don't really know how I feel about that. I feel like dragons should have to be reset back to a hatchling if they're killed. It makes them more unforgiving to play, and ancients more hard to come by.

17. Bruxail

Bruxail Master

I think that is a little harsh, but I certainly like the idea of them losing a stage if they die enough times, up to the point of getting to a hatchling eventually.

18. CTheRain

CTheRain Veteran

I hope you guys have a smoother alpha launch than Citadel and Dark&Light. :) Those are your competitors now trying to fill in the fantasy niche. Although they're unplayable atm and if you've played ARK its the same thing without dinos.

19. Mata

Mata Journeyman

In my opinion it's completely reasonable... And it means getting to ancient stage could be even more worth it. It'd take real, brutal practice to get to that stage.

In The Isle, one of the most powerful class is the giganotosaurus. You have to start completely over if you die, and It literally takes 27 real life hours to get to that point. Yet, it's possible, and I see people playing gigas all the time. I imagine Dragon gameplay will be similar.

20. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

I believe you fail to understand that a Hatchling can die in a single hit, and the nature of these Developers. It WON'T be easy, I can assure you.
    That is PRECISELY why they get life counters too. By design, you are lucky to even have ONE life counter when you reach Ancient, IF you do.
    Not one person would ever be able to even reach Juvenile on an official server if Dragons had one life, I just about guarantee it barring exploits.