Dev Blog #58

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Elyssia, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Elyssia

Elyssia Community Manager Staff Member

2. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

Will there be a way to see the stats still so we can see what our stats are since some things can change them with things like spells, foods, diseases, or increasing them for using relative skills?

curzman and Elegost like this.
  3. CTheRain

CTheRain Veteran

Can we have the OPTION to see our stat numbers changed by weather so we can min/max? Instead of having to rely on a custom client or going to our own servers to find these things out?

Elegost likes this.
  4. Elyssia

I don't believe that is in the design right now, but we're always open to feedback.

5. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

Always happy to read these Dev Blogs. I actually have a question though. Why remove the stats from the character menu?
    I like seeing them in games, especially in games like Divinity 2 where you have to micro-manage EVERY stat if you want to live.
    What about items or skills? Can't they change a stat?

6. BowenTheKotoc

BowenTheKotoc Master

Sounds like some good design choices were made to help performance. A shame we have to make some of those compromises, though. How can I RP a hoarder (the human kind, not a dragon :p ) if I can't actually hoard? :D The inventory system sounds interesting. I look forward to trying to break it. ;)

Elegost likes this.
  7. Elyssia

No items or skills can impact the base attributes that players choose when they create their characters. Statuses like starvation or freezing/burning from the temperatures negatively impact them, but you also receive a HUD icon telling you of them.

8. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

It just occured to me how that could work. FC could make furniture tiles that look like piles of books, or treasure or junk or whatever and then a player could buy that from their Store to decorate their space with them to make it like they are hoarding things. The drawback would be that you could not interact with the items because they would just be decorations.

9. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

So if items and skills can't make your stats better, how does a character get stronger? How do they increase their health or stamina?
    That makes no sense if there isn't ANY character stat progression at all...for once I'm completely uneducated about this game.

10. CTheRain

CTheRain Veteran

Its a "put all points into HP / Stam" sorta thing.

11. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

It was said that no further points are earned after character creation, hence my confusion.
    If skills don't increase stats, and items don't increase stats, and characters don't actually level up...
    This means you just allocate points at character creation and then that's it. No more stat increases.
    I apologize, I'm just so used to games like Dark Souls and Divinity having to get stats and points just right or you are dead.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  12. CTheRain

CTheRain Veteran

I wasn't really complaining at what you said. Its kinda sad that you cannot make your own character a bit stronger after roughing it in the wilderness. Hell we eventually die due to perma-death so I don't understand why we can't get a bit stronger in terms of attributes. The character creation screen is gonna be min/max city in terms of what your character goals are.

13. Elyssia

Characters can improve through skills/abilities. They can't increase their stamina, but they can become more efficient at using it based on the skill so that it costs them less. Gains from skills can compensate for some creation choices, but all attributes are important and we hope that our game design rewards a balanced character over anything else. We're in the process of discussing what we can do to reduce min/maxing, as it has always been on of our goals to get the players to stop focusing on numbers and instead focus on their journey.

BowenTheKotoc likes this.
  14. Brax

Brax CoFounder / Creative Director Staff Member

Here a good example (I hope) of the way the system works...

There is a Running skill under the Survival skill category. In that Running skill are two disciplines: Speed and Endurance. As you run, you earn points in the Running skill (thus the "earn by doing" skill system we've talked about). You can put the earned points into any of the disciplines of a skill, in this case either Speed or Endurance. If you put it into Endurance, running lessens the amount of stamina drained per second. Stamina is a derived stat from the Strength and Fortitude attributes.

So, no, you haven't increased your Strength of Fortitude, but you have improved your character when it comes to endurance running, which is directly influenced by attributes.

I know that for many it will be a scratch the head kind of moment when they realize attributes don't change after character creation, but there are a ton of ways to improve and progress your characters.

15. Bruxail

Bruxail Master

Base attributes may not change but your skills can make you better enough to prevent as much damage as you would have taken as an unskilled layperson. Also, wearing better armor can help deflect some of that as well or take some of the blows instead. In either case, though you still have the same amount of "hit points", your skill helps you learn how to prevent those points from being taken away.

Elyssia and Elegost like this.
  16. CTheRain

CTheRain Veteran

How much speed will be gained? Will it be significant enough to justify higher stamina drain?

17. Elyssia

We aren't going to tell the players the exact amount of gains from skill increases. However, the increase in speed will not increase the stamina cost, it is a choice you make; do you want to be able to move faster from point A to point B, or do you want to be able to run for longer? One will get you away from danger faster, the other means you can keep running for a longer time without taking a recovery break.

18. CTheRain

CTheRain Veteran

If someone with speed reaches the destination faster and can regenerate stamina by the time endurance reaches the location then endurance is null.

|------------------------------------------------------------|break|---------------------------| stop... 10 seconds
    |-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| stop... 10 seconds

In ARK you can pump stamina and run forever. But with movement speed you can get so far faster and have your stamina back up to full that stamina builds never truly reach the same effectiveness.

19. achilles2511

achilles2511 Artisan

Are we thinking of the same Dvinity 2? *SPOILERS* Where you're a slayer, fighting Damian to resurrect Ygerna so that he will die? (With that wonderful plot twist where you lose no matter what in the first half.) Because I didn't have that problem for long. Just get points into lifeleech, and manaleech, +an item that buffs them. With those, healing and regen I finished the game with less than 600 HP. I wasnt even planning to build my character like that, I just stumbled upon it. I'm sure that other ways to fight work just as well, I did an archer and explosive arrow murdered everything.

Also, in regards to backpacks and such. What about a very long item that wouldn't fit inside a bag? Say, you're carrying a bunch of spears you made to hand out somewhere other than where you made them. You dont want to just carry them in your arms, and you only have three weapon slots. (If carrying a polearm on your hip would even be possible.) So if it doesn't fit into a bag, how would you carry them? I would probably tie them into a bundle and then tie that bundle to the bottom/top of my pack, or maybe some on each side. Would that be possible, with the current plans for baggage?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  20. curzman

curzman Artisan

"Since we have moved away from a grid inventory system and gone with a visual backpack inventory, we’ve had to come up with a means of limiting the amount a player can carry within a container and avoid everyone crafting a “Bag of Holding” with just a few basic items. We’ve decided to go with “volume”, with small bags having very little volume and stationary containers like chests and boxes having a very large amount.

While we were working on that, we’ve went ahead and redesigned the character screen as well. Brax realized that we were always bombarding the player with their attribute numbers every time they opened their character window, when in fact these numbers don’t ever change. There is no way for players to raise or lower them after character creation, and any time they are affected by the environment from hunger, thirst, temperature, and so on, the player is told in the HUD. Without that info cluttering up the window, it is now a less noisy screen that feels much more comfortable to use."

Not sure how much I'm going to like this free form system.. the convenience of having all your items snap into squares makes it very easy to read whats in your inventory. I was too young for Ultima so i guess I'll just trust you guys that its a good system, I'll probably get used to it.

But anyway my main question in regards to inventory is the Icons; since its all free form will the Icons be relatively to scale? so a sword isnt the same size as a gem and you can hide small things behind large things and such. (sorry been away for a while I need to catch up ahah)