Dev Blog #60

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Elyssia, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Elyssia

Elyssia Community Manager Staff Member

Bruxail, BowenTheKotoc and Iauquai like this.
  2. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

I can see that when caves are surrounded by forests and plants it will be hard to spot them from a distance. That will make exploration interesting, indeed. It's good to hear that advancements are being made with animations, and texturing.

Elyssia likes this.
  3. BowenTheKotoc

BowenTheKotoc Master

I didn't even see there was a cave entrance there until you mentioned it in the article, but my work monitors are not the best for picking up details. The night time shot is very dark (as it should be! - but probably even more so on these monitors :p ). I do like the beams of sunlight in the first one, very nice.

Regarding walls, I can't think of an MMO I've played before now where there were walls that actually made a difference. Maybe some Ark players have experience with that? The closest I've probably come across are doors in Player Unknown's Battlegrounds (PUBG), but they can't be locked and are opened by a simple use command, so at best they might delay someone's entrance slightly and give you advance warning, but mostly they're just to block line of sight.

Elyssia likes this.
  4. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

This is very cool. The game is going to look fantastic when it's 100% completed! That cave sorta reminds me of my favorite game, TES IV Oblivion.

Elyssia likes this.
  5. CTheRain

CTheRain Veteran

In ARK we use gates because the developers are too lazy to make behemoth walls. Walls are a deterrence in ARK and usually just block the range of your auto defenses. Now in Haven and Hearth walls give you at least 24 hours to react to an attack.

Elegost and Elyssia like this.
  6. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

We'll have stone walls in ToA, enough to stop people from casually walking in. And I guess, Dragons in the first couple growth stages. I don't know if we can dig trenches then build the walls in them to prevent Raknar from tunneling under them, but that would be helpful too. We do have the option of having towers, so if we can put seige engines up on top of them, then there is no problem with defensive fire range. We will have gates too I believe, so we should be ok if we can attract enough npc's to guard the settlement, and it will probably help if there are PC's around to help out when an attack occurs.

Back in the past when it was new, there was a browser game I played that I cannot think of the name of at the moment, but building a wall, even a newbie one discouraged lots of B&E's and it took a crowd of jerks to tear down the walls over a week or so while I was away. So, I think with what we have heard so far, ToA should give us what we need to defend our settlements, though it will cost us to put good protection in place.

7. Mata

Mata Journeyman

Great work as always! Excited to hear about the textures and progress that's been made.

I have a feeling that cave is going to be a raknar den, especially since Brax is the sculptor ;)

I recall a game where you could open-close a door with a gui that stayed open even when you strayed from the door, allowing you to access it remotely. Not very realistic.

I'd say give the palisade walls big draw-bridge type doors that either draw up or down depending on how you make it

8. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

I don't think we will have to worry about Raknar tunneling under the walls since Unity itself lacks the features required I think.
    Unless the Devs find a clever way to handle that like they did with caves...then we are REALLY going to have a bad time.

achilles2511 likes this.
  9. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

Forged Chaos has already said that the Raknar have the ability to tunnel under the ground for a certain distance then burst up through it onto the surface for a surprise attack. So, naturally, for a Tervaran at least, a wall builder would likely be concerned about this.

10. Elyssia

Elyssia Community Manager Staff Member

I believe that was part of the old design for the MMO. Raknar will not have that ability in ToA: Exile. At least not for early access.

11. achilles2511

achilles2511 Artisan

Those require a system of pulleys, and in general, is harder to make than a regular old gate. And unless you have a moat/pit all around the wall, there is no point to having one. Or did you mean the portcullis?

12. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

The full deal would involve a drawbridge, or two, one or more porcullis's and then gates behind the porcullis's to keep those pesky arrows from flying through.

achilles2511 likes this.