Dev Blog #62

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Elyssia, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Elyssia

Elyssia Community Manager Staff Member

2. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

Heh, I actually saw an article on how a programmer worked out a way to dig holes in unity terrain for his game. I didn't bookmark it because it was pretty simple. The gist of it is that every object in a scene in Unity has a property that determines whether or not the object is drawn when the scene is instanced. You can basically turn off a section of terrain, position your hole or cave or whatever in the right spot then players can enter the hole somehow and end up on the cave floor. This would require that the cave entrance be a seperate type of terrain that could be set not to draw when a cave is present. When a cave was not present the player would just see the normal ground terrain without noticing it as anything unusual.

Elyssia likes this.
  3. BowenTheKotoc

BowenTheKotoc Master

I like red, green, yellow, brown, and black for Raknar colors.

4. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

I just had an idea pop into my head that is so simple it blows my mind that I did not think of this before. You simply make a depression in the terrain where you want the cave, then you build a 3d model that is basically the cave, it's entrance(s), and the ground above it. The model nestles into the depression and as far as anyone looking at it is concerned, it is a cave in the ground.

Elyssia likes this.
  5. Brax

Brax CoFounder / Creative Director Staff Member

It's not that simple, unfortunately.

6. Bruxail

Bruxail Master

In addition to what Bowen suggested for colors, I would like to see gray (grey) base colors. I would also like to see orange as a base color like a garden spider. Add black secondary colors to that and it would look really cool.

achilles2511, Elyssia and Brax like this.
  7. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

Subnautica seems to ignore the supposed limitations of Unity and I'm not quite sure how....

Elyssia likes this.
  8. Iauquai

Iauquai Veteran

Nobody is bound by the limitations of Unity, any programming team can write code that runs outside the Unity Engine and still interacts with it, allowing them to extend it's capabilities. This is part of the process that has pushed Unity3D development forwards, because the software license that governs Unity3D use involves sharing with its development team any improvements that were made to the engine to develop software with it. That may be a little confusing I suppose, some times there is no other option than to directly extend the engine's capabilities, other times the game itself can be extended with this out-of-engine code, those are the two sorts of things I am referring to here.