Dev Blog #72

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Elyssia, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Elyssia

Elyssia Community Manager Staff Member

2. BazrakeArchdemon

BazrakeArchdemon Veteran

3. CynderAngel

CynderAngel Artisan

Wow awesome work guys! Sounds like you guys are getting closer, but not that close obviously. Also that mask is funny, I was wondering what that was about. Hope you fix up those bugs real soon, also can't wait for this game to be ready to be played! Its gonna be rad!

4. BowenTheKotoc

BowenTheKotoc Master

I'm excited. :)

In fact, I'm honing my observational skills already. In the article, you say "the screenshot below" but the screenshot is above that paragraph. ;)

Also, that food looks fantastic.

5. Iauquai

Iauquai Master

With my experience I am relaxed :)

I like the way that the food looks. It's great that we will be able to become a Dragon that will big enough to fly (someday).

6. Loestri

Loestri CoFounder / Project Manager Staff Member

Big enough to fly . . .someday, small enough to eat . . . today! I need stew meat!

Bruxail likes this.
  7. Jeremy@AmidsTheLight

Jeremy@AmidsTheLight Artisan

8. Iauquai

Iauquai Master

Catch Brax in-game, bump him off, butcher and stew him and wala! Stewed Raknar :) Put this on your inn's menu and your enemies will be less likely to raid your town ;)

Elyssia likes this.
  9. Mata

Mata Artisan

Amazing update! And sorry to say, but the food looks like hard clay, especially the stew, lol. But ignoring the appearance of texture, it looks great! make it look a bit less dry and I think it'd definitely be more appetizing.

Off topic but my new computer has been built and all that's left to do is download windows 10. I now know for sure that I'll be able to play the game when it's open for public testing!

10. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

I agree, but remember, this is far too early to be worried about graphics. I wouldn't be surprised if in early testing everything looked like garbage, but nearing the end of Steam Early Access everything was better. It's kinda how early access games work. Take Subnautica for example, which runs on the same engine as ToA-Exile. Looked like garbage at first but it looks gorgeous now.

(Clarification-I never actually said that this game looked like garbage at this time. I said I wouldn't be surprised/complain if early alpha looked bad.)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  11. BowenTheKotoc

BowenTheKotoc Master

*sigh* I guess I'm old. In my day, our stew graphics looked like a D laying on its side with steam coming off of it if we were lucky.

Jeremy@AmidsTheLight and Elyssia like this.
  12. Iauquai

Iauquai Master

I suspect that the graphic will be decent at the testing release because they wanted us to stream it.

13. Bruxail

Bruxail Master

Odd enough, I hope the graphics aren't too good. The better they are the more power it takes to show them. I have a good comp but not everyone does.

14. Iauquai

Iauquai Master

That's a very good point. Most games that have recently been released with high machine requirements have not been doing too well until they optimize to allow lower machine requirements.

Elyssia likes this.
  15. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

I'm definitely a graphics maniac. I'm one of those people who mod Bethesda games to the absolute limit. :D
    Obviously I'm going to have mercy on FC. They are a small team of people who work in their spare time after their normal jobs.
    I am hoping that they take full advantage of Unity 5's capabilities post-launch. Unity 5 can churn out some really sweet graphics.

16. Smaug

Smaug Journeyman

Given that it's done in unity, I wonder if they will eventually add mod support post launch as well

Elegost likes this.
  17. Iauquai

Iauquai Master

Mod support is not something I think would work well with this game. ToA will succeed based on what is good about it and public perception of it, this would probably be diluted if you could watch a streamed video of ToA where there were stormtroopers running around shooting at Dragons and Raknar, etc.

18. Mata

Mata Artisan

Though pretty graphics are awesome, I honestly care way more about gameplay, imo.

BowenTheKotoc, Elegost and Elyssia like this.
  19. Elegost

Elegost Artisan

Ah yes, but mods can also be a very good thing. Features that can really help a game have sometimes been introduced by modders.
    Not saying it is the best course of action, but the ARK devs seem to like picking the best user mods and officially using it in the game.
    Some might call it lazy, others might call it genius to have others do all the work for you. :p