New Concept Art, The Beast-ant?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by The Sorceress, Apr 23, 2014.

1. The Sorceress

The Sorceress Artisan

Okay I don't know if I'm just slow (and there's a very high chance of that being it) but I haven't seen anyone pointing out the (new? or is it old?) concept art of what seem to be an ant with some kind of hole in the back, and thick strong legs. What do or did you guys make of this? first I was like, hey a rakna- no wait a minute! :eek:! Do you think it will be a hunter of some kind since it has these strong legs and the hole which it might use for spitting or something, or do you think it will be, like in the nature, a very social animal (I say animal because of the legs.) Do you think it will have a queen? or do you think it might have been some kind of raknar concept? Will it be a hunter or a forager, peacefull or aggressive? and what kind of regent will I be able to use it fo- I mean what kind of environment will it live in? since there are both leafcutter ants, amazon/slave ants/desert/city/jungle/forest ants even ants who evolved into no needing a queen. What do you guys think this will be?

And most importent, what do we call this cutie! :shy:!
    Just found out it's called the Tlactoli, so sorry guys for not seeing that... :oops:[​IMG]

2. The Double

The Double Artisan

Looks like some kind of species of bird(?!). I shall call it The One Who Moves Dirt Around.

3. The Double

The Double Artisan

Okay, more seriously though. First thing to pop in my mind (aside from that stupid bird thing) was that it could live in a rocky area, (mountains perhaps?) given that it would have legs and claws that thick to carve tunnels in solid rock, though maybe the rock is softened by the acid that it spits from its back.

Gassy the Goblin likes this.
  4. Insanity

Insanity Artisan

It's a goblin steed.... the hole is a handle, and the strong legs are so it can trample gnomes with ease, the head is low so it can catch the short gnomes in it's jaws, and the rear is up high to stay out of reach, the armor is obviously there to protect against the tiny jaws of pixies, especially around the ankles...

It's size and weight would prevent it from being picked up by a griffin, though a dragon would have no issue...

NutMeg, eXChroma, Ildefonse and 3 others like this.
  5. Bruxail

Bruxail Master

Looks like a fortified ant. I wonder how big it is?

6. Maiera Panthea

Maiera Panthea Artisan

I don't know if you are making that up, but it sounds extremely likely, and I thought for sure that it was something you knew for a moment :D I could see it in a desert area too, digging down in the sand at day not to get fried, and then hunting at knight. The big probably slightly clumsy legs wouldn't bee a problem since the wind would cover the noise. Also the colour fits, and it seems like an animal that could do some wandering :D

7. Insanity

Insanity Artisan

Making it up, though I would see it as a scavenger, head low isn't very conducive to bring down animals taller than itself. They'd have to bring you down by your ankles, then go for the throat... Being down low though, food is already there...

8. Maiera Panthea

Maiera Panthea Artisan

Doesn't seem to bother ants ;) But yeah you have a points. Maybe going for smaller prey? Snakes and the like.

9. Insanity

Insanity Artisan

Ants kill by swarming....

Good god... if this thing was a swarmer... and big enough to carry a goblin....O_O

10. The Double

The Double Artisan

Swarms of goblins riding these things, nasty. Depends on how big they are, though. A swarm of these would still be nasty.

curzman likes this.
  11. Gassy the Goblin

Gassy the Goblin Modeler / Animator

:D :D ! Now THAT'S a steed! Lol, luv it!
    *Goblin SWARMING Horde Salute to You!* :D

12. Ildefonse

Ildefonse Master

That is new, good find sorceress. I wonder how big it is... I fear quite big :eek:

13. BowenTheKotoc

BowenTheKotoc Master

It's new? Really? Looks familiar for some reason... maybe there was a sketch version back in the old days?

14. Fornax

Fornax Master

I'm sort of meh on it. It just looks like problems for settlement builders. "Great, more insects gnawing on the walls. Get your armor, we need to drive them off again...oh well, there goes my plans for today's work." We will see, I suppose.

Hoping that there are not just insectoid baddies in this world. We have lots of spidery Raknar already. Now we have that armored ant. Next, the Gzornnplatt, a wasp like bird....

15. Grune

Grune Veteran

16. Varl

Varl CoFounder

That's a tater bug? Ugly. I've always thought tater bugs looked like this (top pic):

http://addins.kwwl.com/blogs/thedirt/2010/07/potato-bugs

I remember these from my youth when they would infest our potatoes in the garden and eat all the leaves, and how we'd have to put bug powder on the leaves to kill them.

Grune and Gassy the Goblin like this.
  17. Ildefonse

Ildefonse Master

Don't know, but I don't think I've ever seen it. And it's uploaded after the KS mawktopus concept art.

18. Aria

Aria Veteran

Not like I wanted to sleep anyways.

19. Grune

Grune Veteran

20. Ildefonse

Ildefonse Master

Ah, our lovely weta :)
    Here's a picture of this cutie eating a carrot.

[​IMG]

Grune, Drealgrin and Gassy the Goblin like this.