1. Welcome to the Trials of Ascension: Exile forums. Due to spam and troll issues all first time posts are moderated so if your post does not show up immediately, this is normal. Please allow some time for your post to be verified to determine that it is not spam, possibly up to 24 hours. If your post has not shown up after 24 hours please send a personal message to our Community Manager, Elyssia.

Some Observations On .10b2

Discussion in 'Community Content' started by Rurahk Silverhand, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Rurahk Silverhand

Rurahk Silverhand Artisan

So, I did some testing on the beta servers (now live). All this is subject to change at the whims of the developers, of course.

Botany - for the first ~150 gathers, most everything will level up your botany skill in 20-25 gathers. Twilight bloom is the notable exception. It's exceedingly rare and looks identical to witch hazel and marigold flowers, but it will provide several times the skill ups of normal gathers. After 150 gathers, only flowers, moss, and rustyroots will provide skill ups (that I've found). The full list that I've found (may be others that I missed) is: inkberries, marigold, witch hazel, twilight bloom, ghost moss, rustyroots. Once your overall skill gem gets 3 slashes (I think the one after journeyman? master perhaps) only twilight bloom will provide skill experience. I was unable to find any creeping hearts vine to test. Side note, it would help to have a tooltip on the gem with the name of the skill level (unskilled, apprentice, etc) otherwise the only place is shows up is when the notification pops up (once).

For the first 150 gathers, fox cherries are the plant of choice. Mature ones have 50 berries and 20 sticks, which will get you most of the way there in 2 gathers. After sticks and berries stop giving xp, witch hazels are pretty nice, with 12 gathers for mature plants, but really you should be gathering any flowers you can find. Twilight flowers should always be gathered when encountered, except perhaps if there are a lot of other flowers in the area - you would save the twilight for last in that case. The extra xp is worth it, and the chances of you being able to go back and find the one flower you didn't pick is very slim when they're not all clumped up.

I'd recommend putting your points into gathering speed, rather than the other, because the other doesn't increase the yield (a plant with 10 berries can be picked 2 at a time, but will still only yield 10 berries) and the speed increase is much more noticeable than the +2 gathers. Side note: it would be nice if the speed boost applied to grass, but alas it does not.

Running - I was only able to test 9 skill ups for running. For the first 8, each rank took ~3:20 to 3:25 seconds of running. The last rank, I had a lot of lag (and the server went down soon after) and it took ~3:34 seconds of running. I suspect that it would still be similar to the first 8 without the lag, but it may also have been the start of a ramp-up.

Intellect had no affect on how many gathers/seconds were needed to skill up, at least for the first 150 gathers/first few running skill ups. It may alter the curve later, but that will require more testing. I also did not notice any slowdown to botany skill ups with ranks in running added, so "the more diverse your skills, the harder it is to gain ranks" mechanic hasn't been added, or either the effect is subtle with just 2 skills with ranks.

Strength and vitality did not have any affect on time needed to run. However, I was able to run longer with fewer rests with vitality. If you're power-leveling running, I'd recommend putting ranks into endurance before speed, as after 4 ranks the amount of rest required per skill up is significantly reduced. Survival may dictate speed, however. :)

Mining takes significantly less "gathers" per skill up than botany, more testing to follow.

I don't know if this is the right place for this kind of post, but here it is anyways. :) I figure that by release, all the mechanics will be different anyhow, but this at least can help others to get a feel for the skills.

Elyssia and BowenTheKotoc like this.
  2. Danielle

Danielle Artisan

Wow, thank you! This is excellent knowledge.

3. Rurahk Silverhand

Rurahk Silverhand Artisan

Finished my running tests. Regardless of current skill level, it takes between 3:20 and 3:25 minutes:seconds to go up a skill point. Before any skill points in endurance, it takes approximately 2 minutes of running to drain the "lungs" or stamina bar. With full points in endurance it takes approximately 3:10 to 3:15 seconds to drain. Interestingly, with all 20 skill points applied (i.e. legendary running) it takes around 4 minutes to drain. Apparently, overall skill in running adds to the reduced stamina effect, as opposed to only points in endurance. In total, it takes one hour, 8 minutes, and 20 seconds (on average) of running to become legendary. I did not test distance/speed increase per skill point, due to not really having any way to measure distance.

Some preliminary results on mining. For the first 7 or so skill points, it takes 3 gathers to increase a level. The number of gathers gradually increases at least until at skill point 20 to around 7-8 gathers. That's as far as I got in my testing.

In 100 gathers, I got stone 50% of the time, the other half destroyed the stone. When the stone was destroyed, I never got any other type of drop. Of the times I got stone, 84% of the time I also got something else. Rock dropped 20% of the time, ore - 15%, clay - 5%, and salt - 2%. I didn't get any copper, silver, or gold nuggets. I mined a "medium" boulder and a "large" boulder, no cave boulders. I spent my points strictly in tool usage and mining speed. At the end of the run, I was getting a gather nearly every power strike (with shift held down). I messed up my counts around the 12th and 15th skill points - I used an average of the number of gathers to fill in the missing numbers. I'll retest those skill points again while testing other things.

I used the same character for running as I did for mining. I skilled up running to legendary, then skilled up mining. My next mining test will be to complete leveling up mining (if possible to get "legendary"). After that. I will re-run the mining test both to get accurate counts where I messed up and to test if having running at legendary makes acquiring mining points more difficult. Then, with both running and mining at legendary (or as high as possible before gathers don't give xp) I'll start leveling botany again. With up to 70 skill points assigned outside of botany, this should give clear evidence for or against the hypothesis that putting points into some skills slows down progression in other skills.

BowenTheKotoc and Elyssia like this.