1. Welcome to the Trials of Ascension: Exile forums. Due to spam and troll issues all first time posts are moderated so if your post does not show up immediately, this is normal. Please allow some time for your post to be verified to determine that it is not spam, possibly up to 24 hours. If your post has not shown up after 24 hours please send a personal message to our Community Manager, Elyssia.

The Factotum - A Class For Low-magic Tabletop Roleplaying

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by TheHauntedTopHat, Feb 17, 2019.

1. TheHauntedTopHat

TheHauntedTopHat Artisan

Hiya! I've recently been working on a medieval DnD game that doesn't include spellcasting classes. Kinda the level of magic you'd expect from early drafts of ToA. I had to ban a whole lot of player options to make our setting work, but I didn't want to leave players stuck with martial classes only. I encourage my players to look through the many options for adventuring gear, and imagine how they could use those as a jumping-off board for making versatile mundane characters. Still, some struggled with the fact that their class options were quite heavily combat-based. To fix this, I made a new class

The Factotum is inspired by a 3.5 class of the same name, which was supposed to be the ultimate all-round dungeoneer. My version retains the spirit of the quintessential improviser and opportunist, which is reflected in most class abilities. In addition, I used the mechanical chassis for spellcasting (saves, disparate spells with names and descriptions) to reflect something much more mundane: admixtures. This interpretation of the Factotum is a chemist, and can mix a number of helpful or horrible brews in an instant.

It's playable, but also heavily in the alpha stage. I expect to change things as we play, but I'm also curious about you guys' feedback at first glance.
    Take a look: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nnofNbLr35E1nsZPnXzQGNHYGlbU3XxipgnXeOd4jK8/edit?usp=sharing

Elyssia likes this.
  2. Iauquai

Iauquai Master

I think it might be more balanced to make it so the Factotum would have to mix their brews out of combat. Similar to how mages have to memorize spells and rest well before being able to cast them.