1. Welcome to the Trials of Ascension: Exile forums. Due to spam and troll issues all first time posts are moderated so if your post does not show up immediately, this is normal. Please allow some time for your post to be verified to determine that it is not spam, possibly up to 24 hours. If your post has not shown up after 24 hours please send a personal message to our Community Manager, Elyssia.

Uni-sex Armor? The Verdict

Discussion in 'Gameplay Discussion & Feedback' started by ProfessorLight, May 8, 2013.

Would you rather have Uni-sex armor or Gender locked armor?

1. Uni-sex

74.4%
  2. Gender locked

25.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProfessorLight

ProfessorLight Artisan

In wake of the other thread where there is a lot of back and forth bickering going on I thought it would be a better idea to ask the community to chime in.

Personally I think uni-sex armor makes a lot more sense. But I don't want to ramble check the "Armour and Gender" thread for extensive arguments on both sides.

2. legendmaker08

legendmaker08 Veteran

Frankly, I don't even really care at this point. I voted Gender-locked cause I don't see the problem with Gender-locked. The main problem the opposing side seemed to have was that it makes it difficult for female players to get armor. I don't think that's a real problem. A player has equal chances of finding both types of armor out in the field (via possible dungeon loot, bandit mobs, PK looting).

It was stated that if any player wants better armor than what they find out in the field, they can get custom-made armor from blacksmiths. So, what's the problem with female players ordering female custom armor? They get their armor, regardless. It's just that men can't wear it, and I'm fine with that. If you pick up armor you can't use, then just sell/trade/burn it. Unisex armor just lets everybody wear any armor which I think leads to more loot hoarding cause you keep the best things for yourself.

That's my argument. :\

Gassy the Goblin likes this.
  3. ProfessorLight

ProfessorLight Artisan

I don't think gender locked is bad because it's that big of a deal. I think it's bad because it's pointless. It's an artificial way to force players to have to trade some of their loot. Give the armor differing stats that is useful to different players and the economy will be fine.

Roshougon likes this.
  4. legendmaker08

legendmaker08 Veteran

Well, if that's the case, I still don't think it's pointless. Having armor being gender-specific can allow for blacksmiths to get creative in their forging processes. If you have one set of armor for females, then you can have different designs and styles for that type of armor. Same for males. If all armor is Unisex, though, then there's less designs, cause it will all just be one big armor type. If you have differentiation, then blacksmiths can make more sales based on how they stylize their armor, for either male or female armors.

5. ProfessorLight

ProfessorLight Artisan

What does the armor being uni-sex do to the creativity of the blacksmith? if a black smith wants to make an armor with a girly design what's stopping him? That fact that it's uni-sex only means he has more potential customers in the males that might like a more feminine look.

Elifia, Roshougon and Geary like this.
  6. Fornax

Fornax Master

I guess if I HAD to choose, I would go unisex. Elyssia's arguments and actually worn armor swayed me. Perhaps the compromise will simply be breastplates for SOME smaller/larger folks.

Roshougon and Gassy the Goblin like this.
  7. legendmaker08

legendmaker08 Veteran

Well, I am saying in that if you have 2 separate types of armor, you have more to work with rather than just 1 type of armor.

8. Gassy the Goblin

Gassy the Goblin Master

9. Flare

Flare Artisan

I guess to sum up my points. Realism doesn't matter in a fantasy, especially if it is to make gameplay more interesting.

Being a minority will not be an issue when it comes to armor. In fact there will be lower demand for the goods so you can bet they will come at a lower price. A merchant wouldn't want to keep that magic female plate in their inventory forever, but with a high demand for the male equivalent, it could sell much faster and for a higher price.

Also a blacksmith would be a fool not to stock some female armor because then they lost 30% of their customer base. Even if it is just 10% that is significant. Discrimination is a poor business practice. Another nice benefit is that if you are the only female in a dungeon raid, you get the first picks at all the female armor loot. You don't hear about someone who uses the less popular complain that they aren't as common in the Blacksmith. That hammer user's experience with the game will be significantly different than the sword user.

So why have this in the game? What I love about it is that it removes the fact that you can put on any armor you can see. It makes it that much more difficult. Also the life of a Blacksmith or armor trader shouldn't be that simple. It requires reacting to the market, not just mindlessly spamming out unisex armor sets. It makes a difference in actually choosing female over male then a slight change to body shape. (and creepy messages) Finally as Legendmaker has made pretty clear is that it adds another element of trading to the game.

Agathor, Brax and legendmaker08 like this.
  10. BowenTheKotoc

BowenTheKotoc Master

Elifia's arguments and links were perfectly logical and changed my opinion, too. I didn't even see a problem with segregated male and female armor until she pointed it out so clearly. I vote for unisex. However, if the devs decide to keep things as is, I won't gripe over it because I can live with it the other way, too. :)

11. Traxthule

Traxthule Artisan

I vote Unisex... but depending on race size and such... that should make a difference who can use certain items.

12. CTheRain

CTheRain Veteran

I would actually prefer Uni-sex rather than gender locked. Unfair for women to have cheaper/more expensive armor than men.

We want "equality." huehue

13. Xenoroth

Xenoroth Artisan

unisex but race specific like a human might be able to wear an orcs armor but a goblin would have to render it down and reforge. also the links speak for the unisex.

Gassy the Goblin and Elifia like this.
  14. Roshougon

Roshougon Artisan

Somebody didn't pass economics.

[​IMG]

15. ProfessorLight

ProfessorLight Artisan

I don't understand how unisex armor means "1 type of armor" just because plate armor can be worn by both males and females doesn't mean you can't as a blacksmith make feminine looking armor and masculine looking armor if you want. Men and women can both wear sweaters, there are no gender locked sweaters, but there are clearly some sweaters that were meant to be worn by one gender. Uni-sex leaves it up to the blacksmith rather than an artificial system.

16. Ildefonse

Ildefonse Master

I voted gender locked. I don't see the problem with it, and I think it makes the game and crafting profession more interesting and varied. I don't understand why people think it will be hard to come by female armor, because anyone with a sense of business would jump the opportunity to craft something which is short in supply.

17. Geary

Geary Veteran

Except that ToA is player driven, so dungeons with armor loot are going to be extremely rare and bandit mobs won't even exist. Beside, if everybody is playing male fighters because they're easier to get armor for, you DO NOT have an equal chance of getting female armor from PK drops.

Having a blacksmith custom-make your armor would be significantly more expensive that just offering to buy one of the items on his stall. You're making him/her invest more time and resources into a customer who he doesn't even know will be there when it's done.

Elifia likes this.
  18. Reavo

Reavo Artisan

But wouldn't the lack of demand (By them being a minority) cause the supply to go up? (And therefore the price down?)

I'm actually curious, not trying to be a smartass or anything. :p

19. ProfessorLight

ProfessorLight Artisan

No, the lack of a demand would only drive the supply up if the maker was just driving out tons of female armors for no reason. If the demand is low more than likely the blacksmiths won't be making as much female armor because it's a waste of the materials. So the price would go up.

20. Reavo

Reavo Artisan

I see.
    Today i learned something!
    Economics.
    :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.